Final by default?

Xavier Bigand flamaros.xavier at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 09:54:45 PDT 2014

Le 13/03/2014 05:56, Sarath Kodali a écrit :
> On Thursday, 13 March 2014 at 00:40:34 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
>>
>> Doesn't this sort of seal the language's fate in the long run, though?
>> Eventually, new programming languages will appear which will learn
>> from D's mistakes, and no new projects will be written in D.
>
> It won't happen that way if we evolve D such that it won't break
> existing code. Or manages it with long deprecation cycles. In 1989, ANSI
> C had come up with new function style without breaking old function
> style. After a while the new style has become the standard and the
> compilers gave warning messages. In D, we can issue "deprecated" messages.
>

>> Wasn't it here that I heard that a language which doesn't evolve is a
>> dead language?
>>
>> From looking at the atmosphere in this newsgroup, at least to me it
>> appears obvious that there are, in fact, D users who would be glad to
>> have their D code broken if it means that it will end up being written
>> in a better programming language. (I'm one of them, for the record; I
>> regularly break my own code anyway when refactoring my library.)
>> Although I'm not advocating forking off a D3 here and now, the list of
>> things we wish we could fix is only going to grow.
>
> That is true if your code is under active development. What if you had a
> production code that was written 2 years back?
>
> - Sarath

Why D was chosen for a production development 2 years back and
development stopped? It's normally not an issue if :
  a) D is well known in the company
  b) Old D version still supported

For me it's clearly an issue to use a young language in a short term
development, from start you already know it will be difficult to
maintain (to few knowledge in the company, security issues, bugs,...)