Final by default?

Sean Kelly sean at invisibleduck.org
Thu Mar 13 16:10:59 PDT 2014

On Thursday, 13 March 2014 at 21:50:10 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> 2. There's the danger of getting into a design-by-committee
>> rut.
>
> Back in the early days of the C++ Standards committee, I recall
> some members negotiating in effect "vote for my proposal and
> I'll vote for yours". I don't see that as a great way to design
> a language.
>
> Democratic committee processes also involve long, and I mean
> loooong, timespans for making decisions. Like 13 years from
> C++98 to C++11.

To be pedantic, there was a TC released in 2003.  And many of the
C++11 features were available years ahead of time from all the
usual library sources.  But I agree that the ISO process isn't
fast.  In fact, I think that's an actual goal, as the industries
that depend on these standards are slow-moving as well.