Final by default?

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Fri Mar 14 08:49:20 PDT 2014

On 3/14/14, 7:18 AM, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
> There are some times where AorB is the best description, and the
> machinery to factor out is just unnecessarily verbose.

Innocently entering the fray :o).

1. I don't quite understand the sheer strength of opinion of Walter's in
this particular matter. It's as if you chat with a friend and suddenly
you figure he has a disproportionately strong opinion on some small
matter. The argument is always the same invoking some
so-bad-it's-painful-to-recount past experience. I do take the point but
can't stop thinking I also have past experience to draw from that's not
as traumatizing. Something that I did notice is very bad (and version
awesomely avoids it) is the possibility to re#define macros in C such
that the meaning of code depends on what has been sequentially
read/included. But Boolean operators don't seem to have had a huge
impact. So I'm always left a bit confused.

2. I have comparable difficulty understanding why the "opposition" feels
also so strongly about it. There are various good means to approach
versioning challenges without compromising. (Rikki's idea was new to me!)

Andrei