Improve D's syntax to make it more python like

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Fri Mar 21 13:52:42 PDT 2014

Am 21.03.2014 21:43, schrieb Mason McGill:
> On Friday, 21 March 2014 at 18:47:49 UTC, Pedro Larroy wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> As a newcomer to D, I wonder, how difficult would be and would it be
>> welcome by the D community to have D's syntax with significant
>> whitespace and without brackets more like python?
>>

>> Thanks.
>
> What draws you to D, if not the syntax?  If you're looking for a fast,
> Python-like language, and you don't mind dependence on the CPython
> runtime, I'd suggest looking into Cython (http://cython.org/).
>
> If you're interested in modern language features and expressive
> metaprogramming with a Python-like syntax, I'd recommend Julia
> (http://julialang.org/).
>
> You might also be interested in Dylan (https://opendylan.org/), though I
> don't know much about it.

Dylan could have been a great language. A lisp for systems programming
with algol syntax.

Developed at Apple, originally targeted at the Newton.

Since it was newly released as open source it has got some followers,
but I am not sure if it will ever manage to get out of "could have been
great" status.

--
Paulo