Pull request names

w0rp devw0rp at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 01:08:13 PDT 2014

On Monday, 24 March 2014 at 17:49:43 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer
wrote:
> To all who are generating pull requests:
>
> I get emails for every pull request message that is posted, as
> do anyone who is subscribed to the github project.
>
> A recent message in my email:
>

> Re: [phobos] Fix issue 12419 (#2038)
>
> @monarchdodra Good point, done.
>
> -
>

> The "view it on Github" is a link to the message. So I can see
> what this is about. But it would be nice if the pull request
> title was more descriptive. I don't know what issue 12419 is.
>
> Please note, I am not complaining about the volume of pull
> request chatter, this is great! But the title of the pull
> request should describe what it logically is without having to
> click through to a bug report or read everything about the pull
> request.
>
> If you want to say "fix issue XXX", please repeat the bug title
> at least.
>
> -Steve

I know exactly what you are talking about. I had this same issue
with git at one of my previous jobs. We used to have commit
messages that were tied to tickets, and we'd have messages like,
"Fix so and so." So I started using the convention "#1234 - Fix
so and so." So my coworkers noticed this, thought referencing the
bug was a good idea and switched... only to writing the bug
number in the commit message and nothing else. So 'git log' read
kind of like this.

Bob - "#347"
Joe - "#346"
Me - "#345 - Fix a rendering bug with this thing on this machine."
Bob - "#228"

It was really frustrating.