Pull request names

Brad Roberts braddr at puremagic.com
Tue Mar 25 01:15:55 PDT 2014

On 3/25/14, 1:08 AM, w0rp wrote:
> On Monday, 24 March 2014 at 17:49:43 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
>> To all who are generating pull requests:
>>
>> I get emails for every pull request message that is posted, as do anyone who is subscribed to the
>> github project.
>>
>> A recent message in my email:
>>

>> Re: [phobos] Fix issue 12419 (#2038)
>>
>> @monarchdodra Good point, done.
>>
>> -
>>

>> The "view it on Github" is a link to the message. So I can see what this is about. But it would be
>> nice if the pull request title was more descriptive. I don't know what issue 12419 is.
>>
>> Please note, I am not complaining about the volume of pull request chatter, this is great! But the
>> title of the pull request should describe what it logically is without having to click through to
>> a bug report or read everything about the pull request.
>>
>> If you want to say "fix issue XXX", please repeat the bug title at least.
>>
>> -Steve
>
> I know exactly what you are talking about. I had this same issue with git at one of my previous
> jobs. We used to have commit messages that were tied to tickets, and we'd have messages like, "Fix
> so and so." So I started using the convention "#1234 - Fix so and so." So my coworkers noticed this,
> thought referencing the bug was a good idea and switched... only to writing the bug number in the
> commit message and nothing else. So 'git log' read kind of like this.
>
> Bob - "#347"
> Joe - "#346"
> Me - "#345 - Fix a rendering bug with this thing on this machine."
> Bob - "#228"
>
> It was really frustrating.

Sounds like there's considerable agreement (including me).  So.. make sure pull requests have the
appropriate info.  If one doesn't, prompt the requester to include it.  If there's wiki nodes out
there that describe the pull request process, make sure it includes appropriate instructions.  Etc.
  This is a very easy to solve issue.. just some habits to be (re-)formed.