DIP(?) Warning to facilitate porting to other archs

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri May 2 14:39:56 PDT 2014

On Fri, 02 May 2014 15:54:37 -0400
Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:

> Warnings ARE a built-in lint-like tool.

Perhaps, but having them in the compiler is inherently flawed, because
you have little-to-no control over what it warns about, and you're
forced to essentially treat them as errors, because it's incredibly
error-prone to leave any warnings in the build (they mask real problems
too easily). As such, it makes no sense to have warnings in the compiler
IMHO.

> On top of that, lint itself proves that lint tends to not get used.

True, that is a problem. But if folks really want the warnings, they
can go to the extra effort. And I'd much rather err on the side of
folks screwing up because they didn't bother to run the tool than
having to fix nonexistent problems in my code because someone
convinced a compiler dev to make the compiler warn about something that's
a problem some of the time but isn't a problem in what I'm actually doing.

- Jonathan M Davis