Julia vs. D?

Chris via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue May 6 04:28:20 PDT 2014

On Tuesday, 6 May 2014 at 11:20:33 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> On Tuesday, 6 May 2014 at 09:11:30 UTC, Chris wrote:
>> I recently came across this article
>> http://www.wired.com/2014/02/julia/. On the Julia homepage
>> there are some benchmarks times relative to C. I know that
>> bearophile has mentioned Julia several times on this forum.
>> Has anyone compared D's vs Julia's performance as well as
>> design features?
>
> I can only comment on design features.
>
> You can think of Julia as a dynamic language similar to Python,
> with optional typing and for such a young language, a quite
> good JIT compiler backed by the LLVM backend.
>
> It is a multi-paradigm language, with an OO approach based on
> multi-methods and direct support for scientific programming.
>
> The target audience are the scientifc community that makes use
> of R, Python with NumPy and so on, which are currently
> disappointed with the performance of said systems. Their goal
> is to keep the programming flexibility of R and Python, while
> improving the performance without having to be forced to write
> C code.
>
> --
> Paulo

Maybe it's time to think about a D interface to Julia. If Julia
catches on within the scientific community, it would be good to
have a foot in the door. Science quickly creates large code
bases, unfortunately, so far it's mostly Python and Matlab which
makes it hard to use the algorithms in real world applications.