More radical ideas about gc and reference counting

Michel Fortin via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue May 6 05:30:10 PDT 2014

On 2014-05-06 12:04:55 +0000, Manu via Digitalmars-d
<digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> said:

> Notably, I didn't say 'phones'. Although I think they do generally
> fall into this category, I think they're drifting away. Since they run
> full OS stack's, it's typical to have unknown amounts of free memory
> for user-space apps and virtual memory managers that can page swap, so
> having excess memory overhead probably isn't such a big deal. It's
> still a major performance hazard though. Stuttering realtime
> applications is never a professional look, and Android suffers
> chronically in this department compared to iOS.

Note that iOS has no page swap. Apps just get killed if there isn't
enough memory (after being sent a few low memory signals they can react
on, clearing caches, etc.). Apps that takes a lot of memory cause other
apps in the background to be killed (and later restarted when they come
to the foreground).

--
Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.ca