More radical ideas about gc and reference counting

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue May 6 06:00:14 PDT 2014

On Tuesday, 6 May 2014 at 12:21:55 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> As for the gaming world, I don't really have the required
> experience to talk much about it. Just doing the heads up that
> D GC != GC that many of us use.

I very much appreciate the links you provide about different GC
solutions, and GC can be appropriate for real time situations
where you don't want to maximize resource utilization or where
you have predictable downtime to collect.

However the approach taken by appliances (where the application
reliability is more important than getting the highest possible
execution speed) or business solutions such as Azul Zing (where
scalability is more important than hardware cost) is not really
suitable for system level programming. It is suitable for a wide
range of applications, that is true.

You can have GC with predictable destructors, but you have to
design the language and runtime around it. You can have real time
GC, but you need a dedicated GC and structure your program to
realize the potential.

I think the only realistic road for D is to imposing/infer
constraints that makes certain that execution paths is compatible
with desirable runtime properties and available runtime support
for that specific thread. There is no silver bullet, but the
implementation driven design that D seems to be undergoing is
affecting the resulting language/run-time design in a bad way,
IMO.