More radical ideas about gc and reference counting

Dicebot via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue May 6 11:15:32 PDT 2014

On Tuesday, 6 May 2014 at 17:57:11 UTC, Manu via Digitalmars-d
wrote:
>> Which only confirms my suspicion that those who complain about
>> lack of
>> experimental Phobos package are likely to simply not use dub.
>
> As I said before, dub has never even occurred to me. No windows
> user
> is likely to naturally think to use a package manager :/
> It's sitting in my phobos fork. Isn't that where everyone keeps
> their
> developments?

It is usual way to handle Phobos proposals that are going into
review queue. If you have a stand-alone module that is ready to
be experimented with, you make an own repo for it and provide as
dub package. This makes possible for users to fetch it easily and
work with latest master version if desired without waiting for
new DMD release.

I can't comment about Windows user mentality but seems like other
language package managers are used quite a lot on Windows.
Suggestions about making it more recognized are welcome.

> If people are pushing dub, then it should really be installed
> with DMD.

It is the plan right now and I remember getting a conceptual
agreement from Andrei about it. Problem is there are several
things that need to be stabilized in it before such distribution
may happen and Sonke is pretty much only person working on it
continuously AFAICS. Any effort that is needed to maintain
"exp.*" is better to be put into getting dub into desired state.

I can volunteer to manage actual dub inclusion process but
problem is code needs  some work before it (and I have been doing
close to 0 D programming other than my job lately).