More radical ideas about gc and reference counting

Manu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue May 6 20:27:20 PDT 2014

On 7 May 2014 04:10, w0rp via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday, 6 May 2014 at 17:57:11 UTC, Manu via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>>
>> As I said before, dub has never even occurred to me. No windows user
>> is likely to naturally think to use a package manager :/
>> It's sitting in my phobos fork. Isn't that where everyone keeps their
>> developments?
>>
>> If people are pushing dub, then it should really be installed with DMD.
>

> DUB should feel pretty natural on any operating system if you are a Python
> (PyPi), Ruby (Gems), JavaScript (NPM), Perl (CPAN), or PHP (PEAR)
> programmer. Although PyPi I know doesn't work as well on Windows. (It
> doesn't explain to you clearly how to install an MSVC compiler for PIP and
> what not.) I think it would be healthy to host supplementary modules first
> with DUB as third party modules, and then get them merged into Phobos after
> they have seen some real world use. That's sure to result in a faster
> turnaround time for going from experimentation to real usage.

I'm not a user of any of those languages or cultures. Web feels like
an alien world to me.

I don't think suggesting that 'I should have known better' is good
defence for something that not obvious or intuitive to end-users.
You can embarrass me, but that doesn't improve the situation for users
who aren't present on this forum.
I'm not unhappy to use DUB to this end, it just never occurred to me.

I suggest it's only practical after these changes though:
1: dub is bundled with DMD
2: The paths for installed dub packages should be either automatic, or
requested/configured during the DMD installer.
3: DMD needs to know where to find DUB packages by default.

I think a massive bonus would be: VisualD/Mono-D integrate a repo
lister with an 'install package' button, and a 'feedback/bug report'
button (linking to the package repo?) for each package. **many
integration, such awesome, wow**
Has anyone done a dub gui already?