More radical ideas about gc and reference counting

Manu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon May 12 00:39:12 PDT 2014

On 12 May 2014 17:24, Dicebot via Digitalmars-d
<digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
> On Monday, 12 May 2014 at 07:12:29 UTC, Manu via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>>
>> You haven't told me how I can use the GC (or whatever memory
>> management scheme, I really don't care) in the low frequency code
>> (again, read: almost all code ever), and not have it interfere with
>> the high frequency code.
>

> You will like Don's talk this year ;)

I'm super-disappointed I can't make it this year! We were evicted from
our house, have to move, and I can't bail for a week and leave that
all on my mrs while she kicks along the fulltime job :(

> Game dev code in not just any low level code though.

It's not just low-level code. It's also very high level code. Gamedev
is a unique (and extremely interesting) field which combines and
tightly integrates almost every imaginable field of software
engineering. I can't think of any that are left out, or any other
industries that also share this property.
I argue, if you can make a modern high-end game in a language, it can
do anything.