More radical ideas about gc and reference counting

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon May 12 10:08:28 PDT 2014

On Monday, 12 May 2014 at 16:16:06 UTC, bearophile wrote:
> Perhaps the game industry has to start the creation of a
> language designed for its needs, like the scientific people
> have done (Julia), the browser ones (Rust), the Web ones have
> done, etc. With lot of work in less than ten years you can have
> an usable language.

I don't think games are unique or special. Most games are even in
the "easy" space by having mostly static data. Meaning the amount
of unexpected dynamic data is pretty low.  Games also have the
luxury of redefining the requirements spec to match available
technology. The games industry does however have its own culture
and paradigms and fashions… With subcultures.

However, most interactive applications will suffer from the same
issues if you increase the load so that they run out of headroom.
Even unix commands like find and grep have latency requirements
if the interaction is to be pleasant. By good fortune "find" and
"grep" haven't changed their interface for 40+ years, so they
were designed for low performance CPUs. That does not mean that
you cannot design a better "find"-like application today that
will run into runtime related usability issues if you freeze the
world.

At the end of the day, a system level language should support key
strategies used for writing performant system level code in a
reliable manner. It should also not lock you to a specific
runtime that you couldn't easily write yourself. It should also
not lock you to a specific model of how to structure your code
(like monitors). I am not even sure it should provide OS
abstractions, because that is not really system level
programming. That is unixy (Posix) programming. A system level
programming language should be free of OS and modelling related
legacy.