New opportunities for D => ASM.js

Chris via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri May 16 05:57:18 PDT 2014

On Friday, 16 May 2014 at 11:38:14 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> On Friday, 16 May 2014 at 10:36:16 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
> wrote:
>> On Friday, 16 May 2014 at 06:21:40 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
>>> The problem is that currently it is a document format, trying
>>> to be an application, with a clustf**** of
>>> JavaScript/CSS/HTML with more compatibility issues than when
>>> C was being standardized.
>>
>> I think it is pretty good if you remove IE9 and below, but
>> things like lists of items are slower with a DOM based
>> solution when you get thousands of items.
>>
>> I use few native apps these days... I dont really see many
>> application areas that cannot run as PNaCl+Dart.
>
> Good luck explaining to non-technical business owner why the CSS
> isn't pixel perfect across Safari Mac OS X, Safari Windows,
> Safari iOS, Chrome iOS, Chrome Android, Chrome Mac OS X, .....,
> even though they are all Webkit based. Or why the need to spend
> more days fixing issues across the same browser engine versions.
>
> Specially when his/her opinion is what counts for releasing a
> payment.
>
> --
> Paulo

Isn't it sad that we still don't have a standard we can rely on,
a good one? Web development is really turning me off. JS,
HTML/CSS is a compatibility hell. I have to use it, there's now
way out, and I spend more time trying to fix things and finding
work arounds than actually writing code. And the worst part is
when your carefully designed code is being compromised, little by
little, by work arounds you _have to_ find, work arounds against
common sense and sanity. PHP is yet another can of worms!

When it comes to UI development, given the amount of platforms
these days, I'd say a HTML/CSS based aproach is desireable. But
connecting HTML to the logic, that's tough. I dream of the day
when we can attach any language to HTML. Is it so hard?