Why is there still a web archive for the newsgroup?

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri May 23 07:11:00 PDT 2014

On Fri, May 23, 2014 at 11:35:18AM +0000, w0rp via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> I wonder what effect this has on PageRank. I have been told that
> Google can identify a site as an originator of content some times, and
> could reduce the rank of another site based on that, something like
> that. Then again, all SEO is basically nonsense, due to nobody truly
> understanding Google and the inevitable nature of Google growing too
> complex for anyone to be able to take any action that isn't just "show
> good content, format well."

Which is the whole point of putting stuff online in the first place. :-P

I've always been skeptical of SEO. Google is known to implement changes
to their ranking algorithm specifically to counter artificially inflated
PageRank's. Why spend the time and energy pulling all those stunts, that
could be better spent producing *good content* instead??!  IME, if you
have good, regularly updated content, eventually Google will find you,
and once it finds you, you'll have a solid PageRank way up near the top,
and you won't easily fall back down (unlike if you invested in
questionable SEO tactics that gets targeted by the next algorithm
upgrade, then suddenly your precious PageRank evaporates overnight).

This happened to my personal hobby website: I did absolutely no SEO
whatsoever, and for the first few years I was nowhere to be found on
Google (unsurprisingly). But I kept up with the solid content, and
eventually Google found me. Then others found me through Google, and
started linking to me, and up I went in rank. Today my website is way up
there with related Wikipedia entries and other high-ranking sites. Total
amount of SEO effort: zero.  Draw your own conclusions.

Leather is waterproof.  Ever see a cow with an umbrella?