std.experimental – DConf?

Dicebot via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu May 29 13:55:32 PDT 2014

On Thursday, 29 May 2014 at 07:55:26 UTC, David Nadlinger wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> There seems to have been some discussion regarding
> std.experimental at DConf, as several proposals to add modules
> to it have popped up over the last few days. Maybe Andrei's
> keynote had something on it (I unfortunately missed it)?
>
> In any case, could somebody please outline the discussion here?
> To me, directly proposing modules for std.experimental that
> haven't gone through being a (popular) code.dlang.org package
> first seems to be at odds with promoting the latter as an
> incubator for library development.
>
> Best,
> David

I have discussed this with Andrei shortly after he has merged PR
that adds `std.experimental` to Phobos. Looks like he actually
thinks about it as `std.staging` - place for almost complete
Phobos modules to bring more attention to them while still being
able to make breaking API changes.

Choice of name is somewhat misleading.

For actual experimental modules dub / code.dlang.org is
absolutely superior solution, bleeding edge code does not fit
into formal release cycle tied to compiler / Phobos.

I hope we will be able to abandon std.experimental eventually
when dub becomes more mature and easily recognized.