GSOC Summer 2015 - Second call for Proposals

CraigDillabaugh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Nov 5 06:07:19 PST 2014

On Wednesday, 5 November 2014 at 10:46:20 UTC, Jens Mueller via
Digitalmars-d wrote:
> [...]
>> areas of interest, but I don't really have specific project
>> suggestions from:
>>
>> Andrei Alexandrescu   Phobos
>> Rikki Cattermole      Web Development
>> Russel Winder         Phobos/QML: std.parallelism,
>> std.benchmark
>> Jacob Ovrum           std.i18n
>> Jens Mueller          std.socket, std.log, std.benchmark,
>> std.numeric.matrix
>
> Remove std.log from that list (as it is almost finished by
> Robert).
> I still mentor for improving std.socket (though I would need
> community
> input from what the community likes to be changed (preferably
> though
> issues.dlang.org)) and std.benchmark (together with Russel if he
> wants to share the work), and still interested in having
> std.numeric.matrix (I believe others too).
> Arguably the descriptions on
> http://wiki.dlang.org/GSOC_2014_Ideas are
> very short.
>
> <snip more ideas />
>
>> A few other questions for the community (and possible mentors).
>>
>> 1. I was thinking that as a way of making our idea's/mentor's
>> lists
>> to stand out I would like to post short Bio's on each mentor -
>> pictures would be nice too, but maybe some potential mentors
>> would
>> be put off by that.  If possible I would also like to post a
>> link to
>> the mentor's talks at DConf (espcially if the talk is related
>> to the
>> project idea(s)).   This should set our idea's list apart from
>> most
>> I have seen so far.  Of course I would only post a bio/picture
>> with
>> the potential mentor's consent.
>
> Fine with me.
>
>> 2. I am supposed to have a backup GSOC administrator, in case
>> I pass
>> away unexpectedly or become otherwise incapacitated.  Any
>> volunteers
>> !
>>
>> 3. We also should have backup mentors - if you feel comfortable
>> serving as a backup mentor for one of the posted project ideas
>> then
>> please let me know.
>>
>> 4. I am supposed to summarize our involvement and the
>> successes and
>> challenges of our participation for previous years, and  list
>> our
>> pass/fail rate for each year.  Can anyone on the forum fill me
>> in on
>> some of this information, especially if you have mentored in
>> the
>> past, or better yet are a past GSOC student still involved
>> with D.
>
> I believe you should get access to the past GSOC's on
> http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/homepage/google/gsoc2015?PageSpeed=noscript
> Andrei should have access to these. You should find there

I did a bit of searching, and here are our entry's for 2012:

Project                 Student                    Mentor
Mono-D	                Alex Bothe	           LightBender

Removing the global gc
lock from common
allocations in D.	Antti-Ville Tuunainen	   David Simcha

Extended unicode
support	                Dmitry Olshansky	   Andrei Alexandrescu

That is a pretty promising list, as it seems that our past
students are still involved in the community.  I will do some
more searching, but need to get to work now :o)

> I'd like to add that I firmly believe that we should strive for
> a short
> list of important projects than a long list of anything. I say
> no more
> than seven projects that the community likes to see addressed
> that allow
> students getting involved in D. Make it few but exceptional
> strong.
> It's fine to brainstorm now and cut down later. But I want to
> see that
> cut down before polishing the project's description etc.
>
> Thank you very much for the effort you are putting into it -
> invaluable.
>
> Jens

Thanks, I agree that we should have a few well defined projects.
It seems that Google puts lots of emphasis on the "Project Ideas"
page, so I think over the next few months I will try to make that
the best possible.