DerelictBgfx not shipping core libs.

ponce via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Nov 6 00:17:23 PST 2014

Hi,

First, I'd like to point out this question is better asked in
DerelictBgfx issues or digitalmars.D.learn, this NG is for
general D discussion.

On Thursday, 6 November 2014 at 06:44:49 UTC, olivier henley
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> May I ask what is the rational to not ship the core libs with
> the bgfx D wrapper? From my point of view it defies the main
> goal of using a D wrapper.

Shipping binaries with FFI bindings defeats software distribution.

> 1. How can we promote the wrapper package if it implies to
> build not one, as of ... only bgfx, but two packages, bgfx and
> DerelictBgfx? Better stick to c/c++ then, and enjoy the path of
> least resistance. Don't you think?

I know this is annoying, but for others dynamic libraries
binaries are provided.
You might ask for bgfx to provide you with binaries with
automated builds.

For other libraries, you will find that D is the path of least
resistance (try using GLEW in C++ vs DerelictGL3 in D, the latter
is easier).

> 2. Does the maintainer guaranty his wrapper will stay in sync
> with further changes of bgfx?

I'm afraid, my plate is already full.
bgfx interface changes without notice and frequently.
You can still build an older version.
That said, two times people have come up and updated the bindings
already.

> 3. Is there anything in the license refraining from shipping
> precompiled libs of the original package? (e.g. To my knowledge
> tkd publishes similar binaries (tcl and tk) without further
> legal complications.)

I feel like this is a responsibility of bgfx to provide binaries.
DerelictSDL does not come with SDL binaries likewise, that would
be insane.

> 4. Am I missing something except the fact that a neophyte to
> the DerelictBgfx package is left with an incomplete build, of
> both the lib and the examples, an anemic README.md and a dead
> forum (http://dblog.aldacron.net/forum/index.php?topic=841.0)?

I guess I should add in the README that you have to build bgfx
yourself for time being to avoid being let down.