Why is `scope` planned for deprecation?

Manu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Nov 13 05:55:58 PST 2014

On 13 November 2014 21:54, Daniel Murphy via Digitalmars-d
<digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
> "Manu via Digitalmars-d"  wrote in message
> news:mailman.1926.1415879071.9932.digitalmars-d at puremagic.com...
>
>> Incidentally, I've recently started a new C++ job, first C++ I've
>> written in some years... (after ~18 years, 12 professionally,
>> full-time C/C++)
>> After having adapted to D and distancing from C++, trying to go back
>> is like some form of inhuman torture!
>> I really don't remember it being as bad as it is... the time away has
>> given me new perspective on how terrible C++ is, and I can say with
>> confidence, there is NOTHING C++ could do to make itself a 'better
>> option' at this point.
>> Judged on common ground, there is no competition. It's only 'the devil
>> you know' case that I think can possibly make an argument for C++.
>

> I know, it's easy to forget how bad C++ is to work with.  The new versions
> have fixed some of the pain points, but only some.

Yeah... nar. Not really. Every line of code is at least 3-4 times as
long as it needs to be. It's virtually impossible to see the code
through the syntactic noise.
I like nullptr, I can get behind that ;)

I realised within minutes that it's almost impossible to live without slices.
On the plus side, I've already made lots of converts in my new office
from my constant ranting :P