std.experimental.logger formal review round 3

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Nov 25 07:21:55 PST 2014

On Tuesday, 25 November 2014 at 14:29:12 UTC, ponce wrote:
> Better XML parsers/JSON parsers/serialization/argument parsers
> exist outside of Phobos currently, and in my opinion maybe they
> didn't belong there in the first place.

Yes, it is often a good idea to standardize after solutions have
been established.

Creating a good logger is harder than it sounds like as the
logger have to used by everyone or else you have to deal with N
incompatible versions in the same project due to different
libraries using different loggers.

Starting with the interface with no performant proof of concept
means you go for a long run. Starting with an existing performant
solution and abstracting it into a cleaner interface would reach
completion faster and with less risk of hitting gotchas later.

A logger that isn't good enough for just about everyone will
become dead weight as people will gravitate towards an external
adhoc standard solution instead (re Tango vs Phobos).