2 types of D users, both can live together happily if we adjust

Mike via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Nov 27 21:14:30 PST 2014

On Thursday, 27 November 2014 at 22:58:33 UTC, Vic wrote:

> The 'real project/core' is where we are (
> http://blog.apakau.com/2014/11/cmg-paper ) and we need a stable
> systems language. From 'real project' people, the people that
> are in the 'experimental platform' currently *shit* where we
> eat (as per my D programmers that work for me, D is big and
> unstable).

Can you be more specific about the instability you are
encountering?  Are you referring to the changes between releases,
or problems due to bugs?  And which changes/bugs have you
encountered that have cause you grief?

> If you are w/ me so far, how big/small should core be?
> *Small enough to be maintained by the size of the team at hand
> and no larger. *

As I see it, D has a lot of contributors willing to maintain and
enhance it, but the barrier to entry and learning curve is quite
high for anything significant.  Therefore, the number of
contributors that actually make a significant difference is quite
small.

Also, since it is a volunteer effort, there's really not much
accountability.  Contributors are free to make significant
contributions, and then leave the D scene without anyone able to
maintain their work.  Contributors are also free to do partial
implementations, and move onto something else without completing
what they started.

I think anyone wishing to leverage D for a critical project
should be aware of that, and perhaps D should be more transparent
about it.  That doesn't mean D shouldn't be used for anything of
importance, it just means that by using D we enter into an
implicit contract requiring us to either be willing to become
significant contributors ourselves, or be willing to partner with
and fund D's development.

When I first approached D, I had high expectations, and as I
learned more, I also became disappointed and said a few things I
this forum I wish I could take back.  I misunderstood the culture
of this community and how it works, and perhaps I still do.  But
what is more apparent now is we can't expect to rely on D if
we're not willing to make significant contributions ourselves, or
fund its development.  And, while using D is itself a small
contribution, it's not enough.

> Lets make D core small please. List of things that are core:
> char arrays.  What else should be core?
> The key question in this tread: how small should core D be to
> be maintainable and stable? How can it be split?

I would like D core to be small as well, but for different
reasons:  I would like a nimble language that can be used for
both the smallest and largest of machines, and let the libraries
differentiate.  But, I don't think it should be partitioned based
on the size of D's human resources, partially because that is
going to fluctuate drastically throughout time.  Rather, the
division should be made based on architectural and design goals.

You might consider doing what other organizations have done:
Allocating your D talent to fix the problems you have encountered
by submitting pull requests, or open issues and place bounties on
them at https://www.bountysource.com/teams/d/issues.

Regardless, I'd still be interested in knowing, more
specifically, what problems you're encountering.

Mike