2 types of D users, both can live together happily if we adjust

Vic via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Nov 28 12:00:35 PST 2014

inline:

On Friday, 28 November 2014 at 05:14:31 UTC, Mike wrote:<snip
> As I see it, D has a lot of contributors willing to maintain
> and enhance it, but the barrier to entry and learning curve is
> quite high for anything significant.

  I say there is very few.  I have to challenge your data that
there is a lot of contributors. Most projects list their
maintainers, what is the number of FTE D maintainers?

That is a loaded question of course, relative to surface area:
http://dlang.org/comparison.html
of sacred cows relative to FTE maintainers.

> Therefore, the number of contributors that actually make a
> significant difference is quite small.
> Also, since it is a volunteer effort, there's really not much
> accountability.  Contributors are free to make significant
> contributions, and then leave the D scene without anyone able
> to maintain their work.  Contributors are also free to do
> partial implementations, and move onto something else without
> completing what they started.
>
> I think anyone wishing to leverage D for a critical project
> should be aware of that, and perhaps D should be more
> transparent about it.  That doesn't mean D shouldn't be used
> for anything of importance, it just means that by using D we
> enter into an implicit contract requiring us to either be
> willing to become significant contributors ourselves, or be
> willing to partner with and fund D's development.

How much $ funding so I consider it?
For example for regressions to be done but only for core. (none
of silly things, which is a long list of GC, AssociaveArrays,
demangle, annotations, higher order functions, pseudo members,
transmogrify, goto, try/catch, vardic, traits, variant, sqllite,
etc. I am not saying to remove them, just make them downstream
like GNU does, not part of regression tested D core.  If I wanted
to use a big lang I'd do CLR or JRE.

> When I first approached D, I had high expectations, and as I
> learned more, I also became disappointed

Yes, that is the pattern. Come in, and leave. There has to be
more people staying and more D shops (like my shop is pure 100% D
).
The regressions are painful, and I propose a way to let people
experiment and compete on rich features. My proposal is to make a
small stable core that can be maintained, so that people say.

> and said a few things I this forum I wish I could take back.  I
> misunderstood the culture of this community and how it works,
> and perhaps I still do.  But what is more apparent now is we
> can't expect to rely on D if we're not willing to make
> significant contributions ourselves, or fund its development.
> And, while using D is itself a small contribution, it's not
> enough.
>
>> Lets make D core small please. List of things that are core:
>> char arrays.  What else should be core?
>> The key question in this tread: how small should core D be to
>> be maintainable and stable? How can it be split?
>
> I would like D core to be small as well, but for different
> reasons:  I would like a nimble language that can be used for
> both the smallest and largest of machines, and let the
> libraries differentiate.  But, I don't think it should be
> partitioned based on the size of D's human resources, partially
> because that is going to fluctuate drastically throughout time.
>  Rather, the division should be made based on architectural and
> design goals.

The culture of the D contributes is 'to bravely peer into gates
of hell' - as in experiment. As user of D I want it to be small,
stable and maintained. I proposed a path that allows for both,
w/o scaring of people that use D for real projects. If that is
not so, then I missed that D is an experimental language.

> You might consider doing what other organizations have done:
> Allocating your D talent to fix the problems you have
> encountered by submitting pull requests, or open issues and
> place bounties on them at
> https://www.bountysource.com/teams/d/issues.
>
> Regardless, I'd still be interested in knowing, more
> specifically, what problems you're encountering.
>
> Mike

My problem: I have 3 developers(still hiring more) that work for
me please lets not use D, it is not stable release to release
(and has a bunch of things no one needs).
I told them: we are a D shop because long term I anticipate D and
Walter to succeed.
So I hope that maintainers consider users of D and not chase them
away.
Vic