2 types of D users, both can live together happily if we adjust

ketmar via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Nov 28 12:20:46 PST 2014

On Fri, 28 Nov 2014 20:00:35 +0000
Vic via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:

> etc. I am not saying to remove them, just make them downstream
> like GNU does, not part of regression tested D core.  If I wanted
> to use a big lang I'd do CLR or JRE.
if i wanted some crippled language that has almost nothing in it, i can
take any of the scripting languages out here, or some esoteric compiler.

having dynamic arrays, associative arrays and strings in the language
is a must for me: i don't want to reinvent the wheel each time or add
some libraries for such simple things (yes, C, i'm talking about you!).

and having alot of things in phobos is great too: i still don't have to
download another library for levenstein distance, for example (yes, i
really used that and was very happy to find it right into
std.algorithm).

and i really enjoyed the fact that all this is a part of the language
that undergoes testing on par with basic features.

> > When I first approached D, I had high expectations, and as I
> > learned more, I also became disappointed
>
> Yes, that is the pattern. Come in, and leave. There has to be
> more people staying and more D shops (like my shop is pure 100% D
> ).
> The regressions are painful, and I propose a way to let people
> experiment and compete on rich features. My proposal is to make a
> small stable core that can be maintained, so that people say.
you can fork and experiment as you want. my private build of DMD has
more than 100KB of patches applied at build time, for example.

> My problem: I have 3 developers(still hiring more) that work for
> me please lets not use D, it is not stable release to release
> (and has a bunch of things no one needs).
this has an easy solution: just stick with the chosen D version: nobody
forces anyone to upgrade.

even more: we have dfix now, which will help to make upgrade process
alot less painfull.