[Semi OT] Language for Game Development talk

po via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Oct 1 14:03:12 PDT 2014

> OOP style and AoS in general does cause cache unfriendly data
> access. You can separate out your hot and cold data but at that
> point you're not really programming in an OO style. He doesn't
> use RTTI, templates, exceptions, etc. for different reasons
> than cache friendliness.

  Modern C++ != OO style.

I'd say modern C++ is more generic + functional than OO.

He seems to think C++ is about programming in some sort of Java
design pattern inspired way.

> At what point does he say it's difficult to code in a SoA style
> in C++? He clearly states he sees no advantage to C++ over C.

1. He references Design patterns during his tirade against C++,
who the hell uses design patterns in C++ these days?
2. He uses Ogre, a 15 year old terrible mess of a rendering
engine, written in a nasty Java style, as an example of why C++
is bad