Who pays for all this?

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Oct 4 20:33:36 PDT 2014

On 10/4/2014 5:18 PM, Shammah Chancellor wrote:
> I've been a member of the D community for about 13 years now, and I'm impressed
> with how much has happened over that period of time with the language and
> community.   However, I wonder who pays for all of this? I feel like a lot of
> the infrastructure is taken for granted, and provided ad-hoc by members of the
> community and/or Walter Bright from his non-D ventures.

Yes, lots of us contribute things that cost money. For example, David Held
recently donated 8 rack servers to power the autotester. Brad Roberts has
financed the rest of the autotester and its ongoing expenses. Vladimir is
hosting the D forums and keeps them running smoothly. Lots more have stepped up
as needed.

> Might it be time for a formation of a D Programming Language Foundation to which
> people can donate and funds some of the hosting, and possibly pay for some time
> of the various heavy contributors?

We're not really limited by lack of funds, but more by lack of focussed effort.
If anyone wants to contribute funds, probably the best use would be to add bug
bounties for bugzilla issues that they find to be neglected. The bounties don't
really compensate at professional rates, but they do work as a nice "thanks" to
those who donate their valuable time.