ketmar via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Oct 4 23:15:10 PDT 2014

On Sun, 05 Oct 2014 05:55:37 +0000
Cliff via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:

> That you even make the bug at all which triggers the error is an
> indication the developer workflow you use is fundamentally
> flawed.
what we are talking about here? sorry, i'm lost.

>  This is something which should be caught much earlier -
> when you are at the point the typo was made - not after you have
> committed a change to disk and presented it to the compiler,
> where your train of thought may be significantly different.
i'm writing code in big pieces, and fixing typos, etc. then works as a
"background thread" in my brain, while "main thread" is still thinking
about the overall picture. no IDE helps me to improve this, and i don't
need all their tools and their bloat. and i'm not making alot of
typos. ;-)

> But I wouldn't object to having a switch to turn off the help if
> it bothers you that much.  Seems like a very small thing to add.
this is a spin-off ;-) of the actual discussion. what i'm talking about
originally is that compiler should stop after first error it
encountered, not trying to parse/analyze code further. and there i was
talking about IDEs which helps to fix alot of typos and other grammar
bugs even before compilation starts.

and what i'm talking about is that trying to make sense from garbage
input is not a sign of robust software, if that software is not a
special case software which was designed to parse garbage.

and that's why i'm against any "warnings" in compilers: all warnings
should be errors.