What are the worst parts of D?

Wyatt via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Oct 6 07:36:21 PDT 2014

On Monday, 6 October 2014 at 13:54:05 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> On 10/6/14, 5:42 AM, Wyatt wrote:
>> On Sunday, 5 October 2014 at 16:14:18 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
>>>
>>> No need to explain it here. When I speak about vision I mean
>>> something
>>> that anyone coming to dlang.org page or GitHub repo sees.
>>> Something
>>> that is explained in a bit more details, possibly with code
>>> examples.
>>> I know I am asking much but seeing quick reference for
>>> "imagine this
>>> stuff is implemented, this is how your program code will be
>>> affected
>>> and this is why it is a good thing" could have been huge deal.
>>
>>> Right now your rationales get lost in forum discussion threads
>>
>> Jerry Christmas, this right here!  Andrei, I know you keep
>> chanting "C++
>> and GC", and that's cool and all, but its also kind of
>> meaningless
>> because we can't read minds.
>
> I understand. What would be a good venue for discussing such
> topics? I thought the D language forum would be most
> appropriate. -- Andrei

Sure, the newsgroup is a great place to discuss the minutiae of
specific features and figure out how they might be implemented
and what design tradeoffs need to be made.  I think we've shown
we can disagree about the colour of any bikeshed of any shape and
construction at this point!

But in what venue do you feel comfortable holding the
easily-accessible public record of your intent for C++ support so
anyone wondering about this new mantra can get the summary of
what it means for them _as an end user_ without scouring the NG
and partially-piecing-it-together-but-not-really from a dozen
disparate posts?

To be succinct: how about an article?

We're not asking for a discussion in this case so much as some
frank sharing.  D is going to have C++ support.  That's cool and
compelling as a bare statement, but in what manner?  What kinds
of things will this allow that were impossible before?  How,
specifically, do you envision that to look?  Can you give example
code that you would expect to work when it's "done"?  What are
the drawbacks you believe forward engineers will have to watch
out for?  It's okay to not have all the answers and explain that
there are parts that may not make it because of various reasons.

I somewhat feel that you're approaching this situation as if it
that were all quite obvious.  Maybe it is to you?  I don't know.
But I do know I'm not alone in the dark here.  Please bring a
lamp.

-Wyatt