What are the worst parts of D?

Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Oct 6 08:05:47 PDT 2014

On 10/6/14, 7:36 AM, Wyatt wrote:
> To be succinct: how about an article?

An article would be great once we have done something we can show.

> We're not asking for a discussion in this case so much as some frank
> sharing.

Is there anything dishonest about sharing intent about the D programming
language in the public forum of the D programming language?

> D is going to have C++ support.  That's cool and compelling as
> a bare statement, but in what manner?

We don't know yet, we're designing it - to wit, we're looking for help
regarding exception interoperability.

> What kinds of things will this
> allow that were impossible before?

The exact list is in the air. We're looking e.g. for the best policy on
exceptions. Possible vs. impossible is btw a matter of scale, for
example wrapping everything you need from C++ in C functions is possible
in the small but impossible at scale.

> How, specifically, do you envision
> that to look?

What is "that"?

> Can you give example code that you would expect to work
> when it's "done"?

This was discussed already: we should be able to pass an
std::vector<int> by reference/pointer from C++ into D and use it within
D directly, with no intervening marshaling.

> What are the drawbacks you believe forward engineers
> will have to watch out for?

What's a forward engineer?

> It's okay to not have all the answers and
> explain that there are parts that may not make it because of various
> reasons.
>
> I somewhat feel that you're approaching this situation as if it that
> were all quite obvious.  Maybe it is to you?  I don't know. But I do
> know I'm not alone in the dark here.  Please bring a lamp.

It seems this is a simple misunderstanding. You're looking for a
virtually finished product (article documenting how it works; analysis;
design; projected impact) whereas we're very much at the beginning of
all that. What's clear to me is we need better interop with C++, so I've
put that up for discussion as soon as reasonable. You're asking for
things that are months into the future.

Andrei