What are the worst parts of D?

Wyatt via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Oct 6 10:37:22 PDT 2014

On Monday, 6 October 2014 at 15:05:31 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> On 10/6/14, 7:36 AM, Wyatt wrote:
>>
>> D is going to have C++ support.  That's cool and compelling as
>> a bare statement, but in what manner?
>
> We don't know yet, we're designing it

> The exact list is in the air. We're looking e.g. for the best
> policy on exceptions. Possible vs. impossible is btw a matter
> of scale, for example wrapping everything you need from C++ in
> C functions is possible in the small but impossible at scale.

Ah, I see what happened now!  The way you've been pushing it, I
was given to believe you had something resembling a "grand
vision" of how you wanted "C++ interoperability" to work with
some proposed syntax and semantics.  If not something so
grandiose, at least a pool of ideas written down?  Or even just a
mental list of things you think are important to cover?
Regardless, these things ARE important to communicate clearly.

> This was discussed already: we should be able to pass an
> std::vector<int> by reference/pointer from C++ into D and use
> it within D directly, with no intervening marshaling.

Awesome, this is a start.

> It seems this is a simple misunderstanding. You're looking for
> a virtually finished product

It really is a misunderstanding.  Heck, I think it still is one
because all we're really looking for is some inkling of what's on
your agenda at a granularity finer than "C++ and GC".  If nothing
else, a list like that gets people thinking about a feature ahead
of the dedicated thread to discuss it.

-Wyatt

PS: Come to think of it, I may have been expecting a DIP?