What are the worst parts of D?

K.K. via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Oct 11 02:07:59 PDT 2014

On Wednesday, 8 October 2014 at 19:00:44 UTC, Jonathan wrote:
> 3) Taking a hint from the early success of Flash, add Derelict3
> (or some basic OpenGL library) directly into Phobos. Despite
> some of the negatives (slower update cycle versus external
> lib), it would greatly add to D's attractiveness for new
> developers. I nearly left D after having a host issues putting
> Derelict3 into my project. If I had this issue, we may be
> missing out from attracting newbies looking to do gfx related
> work.

This reminds of an idea I've been pondering over for a while now.
What if there was a language, that came with a standard toolkit
for the more fun stuff such as OpenGL (There could be one already
and I just don't know of it). But if we take that idea and try to
apply it to D, we sortof get Deimos. Problem is Deimos, is pretty
disjointed and is only updated every now and then, so then as an
alternative I suppose there is Derelict. However, Derelict is
maintained primarily by one person it seems (he does a great job
though!), but Derelict isn't a standard feature (I know Deimos
isn't either) and I *personally* don't care much for it's heavy
leaning on dub. +Derelict isn't always a walk in the park to get
running

The alternative I'm suggesting, not by any means a top priority,
is give Deimos a makeover (Derelict could possibly be a big part
of this) and turn it into a semi-standard feature. So you can
import phobos modules to do the stuff phobos normally does, but
if you feel like making a quick tool or two, you can import
deimos to get Tcl/tk like you would in python, or call OpenGl, or
whatever other tool you need (doesn't have to be a graphics
thing). Then at compile time the compiler could just copy or
build the required dll's\so's & object files into the specified
directory, or whatever works best.

On Wednesday, 8 October 2014 at 19:47:05 UTC, Jeremy Powers via
Digitalmars-d wrote:

> Personally I take the opposite view - I'd much prefer a strong
> and easily
> consumed third-party library ecosystem than to shove everything
> into
> Phobos.  Dub is a wonderful thing for D, and needs to be so
> good that
> people use it by default.

Not to initiate my biweekly "not a fan of dub" conversation, but
just wanna say real quick: Not everyone really likes to use dub.
The only thing I like about it, is using it as the build script
for a library to get the .lib files and whatnot. Though I don't
feel like it really adds a drastic improvement over a .d build
script. However, I don't work on any open source libraries, but
maybe if I did, I'd like it better then..? Not something I would
have an answer to right now, soo... yea:P

----

Aside from what I mentioned above, I'm not sure where I'd like D
to be at next to be perfectly honest. Stuff like no GC or C++
integration sound cool, but for me personally they just seem like
'neat' feature, not something that I feel like would change my
current workflow for better or worse.
Refinement of what's already in place sounds the best if anything.

So those are just some passing thoughts of a stranger.. carry on,
this thread has been very interesting so far ;P