Re: Trivial (but not bikeshed please) question of style…

Ali Çehreli via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Oct 28 11:21:19 PDT 2014

On 10/28/2014 06:41 AM, "Ola Fosheim Grøstad"
<ola.fosheim.grostad+dlang at gmail.com>" wrote:
> On Tuesday, 28 October 2014 at 08:15:58 UTC, Russel Winder via
> Digitalmars-d wrote:
>>     parent.send(result)
>>
>> or:
>>
>>     send(parent, result)
>>
>> as being idiomatic D code?
>
> I cannot speak for idioms, but this is a good example of how UFCS fails
> to capture the semantics of dot notation.
>
> "X.action(Y)" will in most OO languages mean do "action" to object "X",
> but "parent.send(results)" means the opposite?! That's not good.
>
> "send(parent,result)" is therefore better.

Agreed.

Going off-topic a little, I don't like putting .writeln at the end for a
similar reason: It makes sense only when it is writeln (not writefln)
and there is only one item to write:

     42.writeln("hello");             // Not good
     "The value: %s".writefln(42);    // Not good
     42.writeln;                      // Acceptable but not for Ali

Although acceptable, I don't use the last form because I don't like the
other forms.

Ali