Slightly OT - Survey

Rikki Cattermole via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Sep 1 01:52:37 PDT 2014

On 1/09/2014 6:47 p.m., Martin Drasar via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On 1.9.2014 0:11, Rikki Cattermole via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> As part of my Degree in ICT at CPIT, I do a largish project at the end.
>> Called Industry project.
>> My own is in house, which I proposed. Essentially its a web service to
>> aid learning.
>>
>> It would really help me if anyone who falls under either, student,
>> educator or corporate (admin) to fill in my survey[0] as part of
>> requirement gathering.
>>
>> For the industry project there is a panel at the end where by the
>> project is essentially put on display and I do a presentation about it.
>> There will also be a day where all the posters for them will be
>> displayed publicly so that people in industry can see, and talk to me
>> about it.
>> I hope by that time I would have made something to show in terms of D
>> and web services.
>>
>> The survey's analytical tool is indeed in D.
>> The survey will be open till 8th of September UTC+12 most likely 10am.
>>
>> Also for any dmd commiters out there can you please look at PR[1] for
>> feedback, its blocking me for Cmsed.
>>
>> [0] http://goo.gl/kAPU5t
>> [1] https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dmd/pull/3921
>
> Hi, Rikki,
>
> I have filled the survey from the point of view of an educator and I
> have a number of comments if you are interested. The survey is quite
> unbalanced and does not cover all options (more specifically below). I
> would suggest consulting next time with someone who knows metodology of
> survey creation (e.g. somebody studying sociology) if you have the option.

One of my tutors (Mike Lopez) who has a lot of experience in research
did over see it. It is what it is, because it gives me the answers I
need. It might not be research paper grade, but that's ok.

> Cheers,
> Martin
>
> Comments to particular questions:
>
> - Do you feel you have the resources you need to teach with?
>
> I don't see, how using a blackboard correlates with having resources to
> teach with. If I have a blackboard and a projector then I have
> everything I need, anything else is a distraction for me and for students.

That's ok, I was using blackboard as an example of being under
resourced. Considering smart boards and white boards have existed and
standard now days.

> - Operating systems questions
>
> I have to chose one, but the options are quite orthogonal and there is
> no obvious ordering so I can't choose the most inclusive one.
>
> - What software do you use to make presentations in?
>
> I use latex and Impress, which option should I choose?

There should be an Other option. Use that.

> - Do you give students the ability to see your presentations?
>
> An obvious answer 'yes, afterwards' is for some reason ommited.
>
> - Would you be willing to use a presentation software if it meant better
> integration for students?
>
> I don't understand the question.
>
> - Do other educators at your institution feel the same way as you?
>
> This one needs a 'I don't have any idea' option.
 >
> - Feedback
>
> Our students have to give feedback to at least half of their lectures at
> the end of each semester, so we get our feedback. However, such option
> is not really possible in your survey.
>
> - Would you feel better knowing students could ask questions during
> lectures?
>
> I don't think I understand what you mean by that. Students can ask
> question. Heck, it's awsome when they do!
>
> - If you could add feedback to future assignments and work for students
> would you?
>
> I'm not sure if I understand it correctly. I always give feedback to my
> students' assignments.
>
> - Are the current methods students use to take notes enough?
>
> That really depends on a student. Some studies were conducted that
> indicated that the pen and paper is probably the best. That or listening
> carefully, engaging in debates and studying before/after.
>
> - If your institution believes in BYOD do you do it?
>
> I think it's a nice concept, but I have to cope with security
> consequences for our university's network.
>
> - How interested are you in trying [e-learning]?
>
> How about if I already did it?
>
> - What form of e-learning would you like to investigate?
>
> What type of e-learning is the 'Lectures in person, without lab sessions'

Thanks!
That feedback is good. It means I didn't expect some of your answers.