Voting: std.logger

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Sep 2 06:58:23 PDT 2014

On Tuesday, 2 September 2014 at 13:08:02 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
> While your raise important concerns it doesn't have any
> practical application right now and I can't use it in any way
> as part of review process. We need details (see the responses
> of other voters). Pure theoretical speculations won't help.

Uhm, it isn't theoretical. A low performance string based
stdio-logger is not useful in a high performance server where you
have short spikes with idle time between the spikes.

A coarse grained logger logs state on the application level and I
don't need library support for that since it only happens in a
handful of locations that I control myself.

A fine grained logger logs state on the framework/library level
and I don't want to use a logger that spends time on turning ints
into strings when it is supposed to be handling requests and sits
idle a few milliseconds later.

The phobos design lacks a performance oriented focus and si too
scripty for a system level langauge.

You need benchmarking from the get go. Performance does not
happen later as a QoI issue because performance depends on the
model the API implies.

Fine grained logging must be performant.