[OT] Microsoft filled patent applications for scoped and immutable types

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Sep 2 13:10:12 PDT 2014

On 8/26/2014 12:37 PM, Max Klyga wrote:
> Microsoft being microsoft again.
>
> http://www.freepatentsonline.com/y2014/0196015.html - DECLARATION OF LIFETIME OF
> RESOURCE REFERENCE
> This contains description of scoped classes, etc.
>
> http://www.freepatentsonline.com/y2014/0196008.html - IMMUTABLE OBJECT TYPES
>
> I really hope patent office will reject these applications.

Ok, I finally got the Patent Office on the horn.

They said this is an "ex partae" thing, where until the patent is granted, I am
not allowed to be part of the process. Only after a patent is granted can I file
a prior art notice.

However, I was able to notify the inventor, J. Duffy, of the prior art, and he
acknowledged receipt of my email. He is legally obliged to notify the Patent
Examiner of any relevant prior art.

I don't think there's anything I can do further at this point. We'll see what
happens.

The status of the patent can be found at:

http://portal.uspto.gov/pair/PublicPair

Click on "Publication Number" and enter 20140196008 in the search box. Then
click on "Image File Wrapper".