[OT] Microsoft filled patent applications for scoped and immutable types

Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Sep 2 13:50:05 PDT 2014

On Tue, 2014-09-02 at 13:10 -0700, Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d
wrote:
[…]
> Ok, I finally got the Patent Office on the horn.
>
> They said this is an "ex partae" thing, where until the patent is granted, I am
> not allowed to be part of the process. Only after a patent is granted can I file
> a prior art notice.

[…]

Well this seems proof incontrovertible that the USA patent system is
well bu######.

> However, I was able to notify the inventor, J. Duffy, of the prior art, and he
> acknowledged receipt of my email. He is legally obliged to notify the Patent
> Examiner of any relevant prior art.
>
> I don't think there's anything I can do further at this point. We'll see what
> happens.
>
> The status of the patent can be found at:
>
> http://portal.uspto.gov/pair/PublicPair
>
> Click on "Publication Number" and enter 20140196008 in the search box. Then
> click on "Image File Wrapper".

It seems that as ever the USPTO grants all well formed patent
applications and leaves it to the courts to deal with validity. What a
f##### up system totally biased in favour of lawyers making large
profits in all circumstances.

Well done Walter for doing what can be done in such a stupid system.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk