Mono corrupted D files

Sativa via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Sep 3 19:22:26 PDT 2014

On Wednesday, 3 September 2014 at 21:13:31 UTC, AsmMan wrote:
> Something very strange happened 2/3 days ago. Two of my D files
> of the project I was working on got all values replaced by 0
> (that's what I seen rather D code if I open the file with a hex
> debugger). The file size of both files keep intact although.
> And no, I have no backup of these files. I had a old copy of it
> on a external hard drive but I needed to format it to use in
> something else and didn't put my files before it...
>
> Instead of turn off my windows machine I always hirbenate it
> and left open all stuff and then I just back quickly to point
> where I was on. That day, when I logged on system I noticied
> first non-usual behavior: the machine looked like I had
> restarted it instead of hibernate. All stuff I left open
> (including mono) wasn't open anymore. I find it strage but
> moved on. But to my surprise when I open mono, the "recent
> projects" always available on left menu bar was empty. Just
> like I had installed mono not used yet. I open my project
> directly by clicking on "open" and navigating to folder of
> projec and then I see the two of main project files with a
> values set to zero.
>
> Can some Mono expected help me?
> My question is: can I recovery these files? or what remains to
> me is cry?
> restore the system didn't helped (and I neither expected to but
> I tried)
>
> Not sure if it is related: that day my machine had no a network
> connection.

You have probably already lost the data, but it is possible that
a different copy of the file is located on the drive. If you've
restored a backup you are probably screwed.

Sometimes programs will store files in a temp directory or when
they save the file it won't overwrite the old one, but delete it
and make a new one.

These can be recovered in many cases as long as the data hasn't
be overwritten by other files. They may not exist on the file
system but in the free space, you have to use an undelete program
that does a low level scan of the file system for deleted files.