Mono corrupted D files

AsmMan via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Sep 3 18:24:48 PDT 2014

On Thursday, 4 September 2014 at 00:37:52 UTC, Israel wrote:
> On Wednesday, 3 September 2014 at 21:46:54 UTC, AsmMan wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 3 September 2014 at 21:13:31 UTC, AsmMan wrote:
>>> Something very strange happened 2/3 days ago. Two of my D
>>> files of the project I was working on got all values replaced
>>> by 0 (that's what I seen rather D code if I open the file
>>> with a hex debugger). The file size of both files keep intact
>>> although. And no, I have no backup of these files. I had a
>>> old copy of it on a external hard drive but I needed to
>>> format it to use in something else and didn't put my files
>>> before it...
>>>
>>> Instead of turn off my windows machine I always hirbenate it
>>> and left open all stuff and then I just back quickly to point
>>> where I was on. That day, when I logged on system I noticied
>>> first non-usual behavior: the machine looked like I had
>>> restarted it instead of hibernate. All stuff I left open
>>> (including mono) wasn't open anymore. I find it strage but
>>> moved on. But to my surprise when I open mono, the "recent
>>> projects" always available on left menu bar was empty. Just
>>> like I had installed mono not used yet. I open my project
>>> directly by clicking on "open" and navigating to folder of
>>> projec and then I see the two of main project files with a
>>> values set to zero.
>>>
>>> Can some Mono expected help me?
>>> My question is: can I recovery these files? or what remains
>>> to me is cry?
>>> restore the system didn't helped (and I neither expected to
>>> but I tried)
>>>
>>> Not sure if it is related: that day my machine had no a
>>> network connection.
>>
>> If it is relevant, I'm using Windows 8.1 64-bit
>
> Its hard to say friend. Im not exactly a mono "Expert" but i
> would assume what happened was...
>
> --You put your system to hibernate
> --The computer somehow lost power and the memory dump was
> diminished.
> --When you turned your computer back on, that dump was corrupted
> and somehow affected your files.

I think it was what happend... instead of the default
configuration to after x minutes (if no one is using the
computer) it was defined to "never" (at least, until baterry
power is < 10%) hibernate. If so, there's nothing which I can do,
isn't? :( I had a very small hope the windows restore could
restore it but didn't. I'll give a try to softwares like recuva.
Who knows if I may find the files in there for any reason. I read
http://security.stackexchange.com/questions/49166/is-filling-up-the-empty-space-in-a-disk-with-any-data-enough-measure-against-fil
one of the answer said it is easily recoverable. Let's see how
"easily" it is without this special machine he nentioned.

> zip the files up and uplaod them, maybe someone here can help
> salvage what is left?

I don't know if it can be useful. The files is nothing but
zeroes. Check out:

http://oi58.tinypic.com/51zfyh.jpg

This file has 18k just of zeroes.