Lieutenant needed: build and release process

Dragos Carp via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Sep 8 14:24:30 PDT 2014

On Monday, 8 September 2014 at 20:56:51 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev
wrote:
> On Monday, 8 September 2014 at 19:51:58 UTC, Dragos Carp wrote:
>> I have collected a few pros/cons about merging the
>> repositories:
>
> This topic has been discussed in the past. Some more points
> that I can think of:
>
>> Pro:
>> - simplified release tagging and branching
>> - atomic commit of cross-repository changes
>> - easier to experiment with cross-repository feature branches
>> - single pull request queue offering a better overview about
>> the
>> project
>> - easier grep, easier build
>> - simplified build documentation
>
> - easier to run the entire test suite
> - much easier "git bisect"
>
>> Cons:
>> - migration effort (documentation, merge scripts)
>> - current work-flow adjustments
>> - the resulted repo history could be sometimes confusing
>> - lost github pull-request history
>
> - more difficult to assign ownership/responsibility

The directory structure will still be present. I don't think that
would be a problem, it works pretty well for bigger projects.

> - forking just one component becomes more difficult

Forking a component is a seldom event, working with all three is
the rule and we should strive to optimize it.