Phobos documentation improvements

Sönke Ludwig via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Sep 10 09:41:36 PDT 2014

Am 10.09.2014 15:50, schrieb Mark Isaacson:
> I am doing an independent study at university this term to improve the
> general quality of life in our D community/ecosystem. I was going to
> start by improving the layout of the Phobos documentation/adding
> summaries to each module, but noticed that someone is already working on
> that front (indicated by the "Preview new Layout" button on the home
> page: http://dlang.org/library/index.html).
>
> Three questions:
> 1) Who's working on this?

That was me. Important to note is that there are a number of fixes
already made, but unfortunately the documentation hasn't been updated
since half a year or so, so they are not visible. This is also the rough
time frame in which I haven't done anything on this front now.

> 2) What's the best way to give feedback/best place to discuss the
> changes (is there an existing thread, for instance)?

For concrete issues, the best place is probably GitHub [1] or Bugzilla
[2], and for more general discussion there was a review thread [3], but
you could of course also just start a new one.

> 3) What's the best way to contribute on this front without stepping on
> any toes? A link to the appropriate fork of the documentation would also
> be welcome.

So far I've only worked on the DDOX/layout side of things, so any
changes done on the actual documentation (i.e. documentation comments)
would be independent anyway. The specific work that I've done is mostly
in the tools repository [4] and some changes are in the website sources
[5] as well (makefile, navigation links and the std-ddox*.ddoc files).

Also interesting to note is that this partially overlaps with recent
efforts to look into implementing a new website design [6].

[1]: https://github.com/rejectedsoftware/ddox/issues
[2]: https://issues.dlang.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=D
[3]: http://forum.dlang.org/thread/lfjcfm$2frn$1@digitalmars.com
[4]: https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/tools/tree/master/dpl-docs