Which patches/mods exists for current versions of the DMD parser?

Joakim via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Sep 11 10:10:11 PDT 2014

On Thursday, 11 September 2014 at 12:26:39 UTC, Ola Fosheim
Grøstad wrote:
> I am not here to increase my self worth, though I don't mind an
> educated argument or a role playing stunt, I am here to
> increase the probability of having a programming language that
> is better than the alternatives for server programming within a
> few years. With the current situation it will take another
> decade.

Let me begin by noting that I'm glad you're tinkering with D, :)
as I noted earlier that experimentation is good.

> You appear to think that management == control. You come
> through as a control freak, but I could be wrong.
>
> Management is about nurturing talent, smoothing out differences
> and facilitating productivity. It is not primarily about
> control.
>
> Cults usually have problem gaining more than 12-30 members.
> They constrain the freedom of their members too much. Bad idea.

These "totalitarian" or "cult" arguments don't go anywhere
because it is easy to shrug them off, since the reality is far
from that extreme.  The core D group can sometimes be insular,
but I don't think that's really the problem here.

> I'll be happy to fork D if it makes it possible for me to work
> on it full time. A license is a contract. You either stand by
> it or renegotiate it. I take the liberties of the liberal Boost
> license literally and will enjoy them in any fashion I fancy.
>
> What you are saying is basically that you disagree with the
> license, so maybe Walter should have spent more time making
> sure that he had backing for it in the community, but that is
> an issue you have to take up with him. Not me or ketmar.

This argument has nothing to do with the Boost license, as
practically every open source license allows the same forking.
Looking back at how this blew up, it was actually Daniel who
asked you not to "fork D's syntax" and then Dicebot merely
reinforced that, before you both went overboard.

The real issue is that historically any programming language
didn't want a bunch of incompatible syntax dialects floating
around, as that makes it difficult for many devs to understand
what the language proper actually consists of.  That concern
about "fragmentation" is all Daniel and Dicebot were speaking to.

However, I've noted that is not a reason to frown on syntax
experimentation like you and ketmar want to do, as your syntax
tweaking is far from a full-blown or popular dialect yet.  I've
also noted that there may be a modern solution to such a problem,
automated syntax translation for different dialects.

Dicebot can't stop you from experimenting with new syntax: in
fact, he started off by saying what _he_ would do instead, not
what _you_ should do, in his second post.  Keep tinkering and
sharing patches and let us know what you find.