[OT] Siemens Space experiment for using Haskell instead of C++ for Mission Control Software

Paulo Pinto via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Sep 13 14:27:12 PDT 2014

Am 13.09.2014 17:27, schrieb po:

>> Basically the usual points how real enterprise C++ looks like, where no
>> one cares about "Effective C++" and similar practices.
>
>   Why they were using C++ for that type of software is beyond me, I'd
> rather use Haskell if latency & throughput aren't my main concerns.
>
>   The paper he referenced in regards to prototyping is from 1994. I'm
> not even sure if C++ has STL at that point. Which makes it pretty well
> meaningless.

Some form STL did exist, but it was still being discussed for inclusion
in the standard.

C++ compilers bundled their own collection classes based in common root
class or magic macros.

It was however already possible to get initial versions of the STL from
SGI, the STLport and a few others. Some compilers with initial template
support, bundled these instead of their own.

>   In the end all this really says is that legacy C++ is terrible(which
> it is), it doesn't really apply to C++14. Also the tooling advantage C++
> has over Haskell or D is pretty wide--

I don't do C++ at work since 2005, but do get to replace C++ systems by
Java and C# ones, every now and then.

This is the archtype of enterprise C++ code I get to see. Probably by
the time C++17 gets approved is when some of these IT departments (or
managers) will allow the use of C++11 compliant compilers.

So far, the only workplace I could enjoy C++ being done properly, was
during my stay at CERN.

Tooling is a big factor, yes.

--
Paulo