RFC: reference counted Throwable

deadalnix via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Sep 20 19:35:30 PDT 2014

On Sunday, 21 September 2014 at 02:10:13 UTC, bearophile wrote:
> Andrei Alexandrescu:
>
>> Rust looked a lot more exciting when I didn't know much about
>> it.
>
> I didn't remember ever seeing you excited about Rust :-) In
> past you (rightfully) didn't comment much about Rust. But do
> you have more defined ideas about it now? Do you still think D
> has a chance against Rust?
>
> Bye,
> bearophile

It is clear that rust has some serious limitations.
  - It interact badly with the existing world (other languages).
  - It is slow to compile.
  - Constraints too much the dev in some paradigms, which
obviously won't fit all area of programming.
  - It bets on many unproven mechanism (ie see error handling).
Some of them may be real hit, but I doubt ALL of them will be,
and these which won't be will have to be worked around, adding
complexity.
  - The macro system is plain horrible, and the only way to do
code generation.

Rust has many cool goodies, but it is generally too radical.