RFC: reference counted Throwable

Nick Treleaven via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Sep 22 04:32:43 PDT 2014

On 21/09/2014 03:35, deadalnix wrote:
>   - It is slow to compile.

Surely that's not an inherent property of Rust?

>   - Constraints too much the dev in some paradigms, which obviously
> won't fit all area of programming.

Absolutely. The unique mutable borrow rule too often prevents even
reading a variable, this is a big pain IMO. I wonder if this is partly
because Rust doesn't have const, only immutable.

>   - The macro system is plain horrible,

The syntax is not great (I heard it may change), but I think the
capabilities are actually pretty good.

 > and the only way to do code generation.

I think you're wrong, you can add syntax extensions such as the
compile-time regex support:

http://blog.burntsushi.net/rust-regex-syntax-extensions

"Luckily, the second way to write a macro is via a syntax extension
(also known as a “procedural macro”). This is done by a compile time
hook that lets you execute arbitrary Rust code, rewrite the abstract
syntax to whatever you want and opens up access to the Rust compiler’s
parser. In short, you get a lot of power. And it’s enough to implement
native regexes. The obvious drawback is that they are more difficult to
implement."