What are the worst parts of D?

Daniel Murphy via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Sep 24 15:20:32 PDT 2014

"H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d"  wrote in message
news:mailman.1573.1411584389.5783.digitalmars-d at puremagic.com...

> I am, as you yourself point out later. But it's frustrating when pull
> requests sit in the queue for weeks (sometimes months, or, in the case
> of dmd pulls, *years*) without any indication of whether it's on the
> right track, and dismaying when your PR is just one of, oh, 100+ others
> that also all need attention, many of which are just languishing there
> for lack of attention even though there is nothing obviously blocking
> them, except perhaps the reviewers' / committers' time / interest.

This is a misleading description of the situation with dmd pull requests.

There are lots of open pull requests, but the number has stayed fairly
stable at ~100 for a long time.   This means they are getting merged or
closed at the same rate they are created.

Some of them have certainly been forgotten by reviewers (sorry) but most of
them need work, or implement controversial or questionable features.

The situation is harder (IMO) than with phobos because changes usually touch
multiple systems in the compiler, even if the diff only touches a single
file.

Things could always be better (can we clone Walter and Kenji yet?) but the
thing holding back issue XYZ is almost always the people who care about XYZ
haven't fixed it yet, and the people who are fixing things don't care about
XYZ.  This includes not only making patches, but convincing others it's
something worth caring about.  Everybody has a different set of priorities
they want everybody else to share.