Deprecations: Any reason left for warning stage?

David Nadlinger via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Sep 29 02:58:25 PDT 2014

On Friday, 26 September 2014 at 16:31:52 UTC, H. S. Teoh via
Digitalmars-d wrote:
> I think the warning stage is still necessary. Users need to be
> informed
> well ahead of time that something is going to be deprecated,
> before it
> starts breaking their builds (which, according to recommended
> usage,
> shouldn't be compiling with -d). We'll get a lot fewer angry
> users this way.

Wait, what? I was talking specifically about the stage as a
capital-W-warning, i.e. something that shows up only when the
user specifies -w or -wi. Deprecations are informational by
default now, unless you explicitly specify -de.

As far as I can see having deprecation messages as Warnings first
actually leads to *more* build breakage (as many more people are
building with -w than with -de) and less time for adapting code
before it is made an error (because -w/-wi is not the default).

Thus, I don't see any justification left for making deprecation
messages Warnings first.

David