RFC: moving forward with @nogc Phobos

Paulo Pinto via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Sep 29 10:16:00 PDT 2014

Am 29.09.2014 12:49, schrieb Andrei Alexandrescu:
> [...]
>
> The three policies are:
>
> (a) gc is the classic garbage-collected style of management;
>
> (b) rc is a reference-counted style still backed by the GC, i.e. the GC
> will still be able to pick up cycles and other kinds of leaks.
>
> (c) mrc is a reference-counted style backed by malloc.
>
> (It should be possible to collapse rc and mrc together and make the
> distinction dynamically, at runtime. I'm distinguishing them statically
> here for expository purposes.)

Personally, I would go just for (b) with compiler support for
increment/decrement removal, as I think it will be too complex having to
support everything and this will complicate all libraries.

Anyway, that was just my 0.02€. Stepping out the thread as I just toy
around with D and cannot add much more to the discussion.

--
Paulo