RFC: moving forward with @nogc Phobos

Chris Williams via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Sep 29 11:14:16 PDT 2014

On Monday, 29 September 2014 at 12:29:33 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
> Any assumption that library code can go away with some set of
> pre-defined allocation strategies is crap. This whole
> discussion was about how important it is to move allocation
> decisions to user code (ranges are just one tool to achieve
> that, Don has been presenting examples of how we do that with
> plain arrays in DConf 2014 talk).

I think the key to this sort of issue is to try and get as much
functionality in Phobos marked @nogc as possible. After that,
building new library-like functionality into a DUB package that
assumes @nogc and only uses the @nogc code in Phobos would be the
next step. Should that get to a state where it's popular and
supported, pulling it in as std.nogc.* might make sense, but
trying to redo Phobos as a manual memory collection library is
infeasible.

Were I your company, I'd start working on leading such an effort.

Unlike Tango, I don't think a development like this would split
the community nor the community's resources in a useless fashion.