Local functions infer attributes?

Manu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Sep 29 18:02:36 PDT 2014

On 30 September 2014 10:29, bearophile via Digitalmars-d
<digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
> Manu:
>
>> Trouble for me is, I've invested so much time now.
>

> If your think your choice was the wrong one, don't invest even more in
> something you think is wasted effort.

It's not to say it's the 'wrong choice'. I'm definitely an early
adopter by nature, and in the case of D, I backed the only horse than
I found realistic to solve my industry's chronic abuse.

Perhaps I was being unrealistic when I thought I'd be able to get more
colleagues on board than I have?
It's just super annoying when the things that send them running are so
bloody trivial! (although, apparently important)
In the case of ref, I can't think of any programmers that I've
introduced to D that haven't complained about ref within their first
hour or 2 of interaction.
I certainly hit the wall with ref within hours of contact with D, and
6 years later, it's exactly as bad as it was within those first few
hours.

The biggest issue inhibiting people getting on board though, by far,
is the debugging experience. #1 issue, hands down.
Practical issues > language issues.

> Otherwise if you like D, then try to
> improve it from the inside, writing dmd/Phobos/druntime pull requests,
> instead of doing it from the outside.

I'd never have my PR's pulled.

I'm also not as interested in language development as it might appear.
I'm interested in writing code and getting work done, and minimising
friction.
I'm interested in more efficient ways to get my work done, and also
opportunities to write more efficient code, but that doesn't mean I
want to stop doing my work and instead work on HOW I do my work.

>> I find myself in a very awkward situation where I'm too far
>> in... I can't go back to C++,
>

> Have you taken a look at Rust?

Yeah, it's just too weird for me to find realistic. It also more
rigidly asserts it's opinions on you, which are in many cases, not
optimal. Rust typically shows a performance disadvantage, which I care
about.
Perhaps more importantly, for practical reasons, I can't ever imagine
convincing a studio of hundreds of programmers to switch to rust. C++
programmers can learn D by osmosis, but staff retraining burden to
move to Rust seems completely unrealistic to me.