Local functions infer attributes?

bearophile via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Sep 29 18:29:13 PDT 2014

Manu:

> In the case of ref, I can't think of any programmers that I've
> introduced to D that haven't complained about ref within their
> first
> hour or 2 of interaction.

Most of the times I have no problems with D ref. Perhaps you are
trying to use D too much like you use C++.

> I'd never have my PR's pulled.

"Working from the inside" also means writing patches that have a
sufficiently high probability of getting pulled after some
changes and improvements.

> I'm also not as interested in language development as it might
> appear.

Yet you discuss about language design all the time. I've
discussed a lot about D, but often the topics that I have a bit
more reliable opinions on are only the ones where I have direct
experience (like Ranges). That's why I have suggested to write
patches. With them you may be able to refine your own opinions
about D.

> Yeah, it's just too weird for me to find realistic.

I don't see it so much weird. It's a lot like a C crossed with
the most obvious and simplified parts of ML, plus memory areas
tracking, and small bits from Erlang and C++ and little more. It
contains only small amounts of OOP, exceptions and GC, and
currently its generics are still first order only, so it looks
simple and coesive. I think an average programmer can learn it
enough to be productive for single-thread user code (not for
library code) in two or three months or less. But I think you
should not even try to use it as you use Ada (unlike D).

Bye,
bearophile